Important Notices - Privacy - Copyright
This section outlines the types of personal information we collect when you use this website, as well as some of the steps we take to safeguard your information. We hope this will help you to make an informed decision about sharing any information with us.
The Access to Information Unitwebsite may allow end users to submit information such as an e-mail address, a mailing address and perhaps full names. All of this information is used to facilitate various services on this website. This information may be collected when you register with the online forum, post on the online blog or participate in some other service.
The Access to Information Unitmay combine the information collected here with other services. We may share some of this information with entities within the organsation, or even other Government agencies, depending on the nature of the service that is used.
The Privacy of This Information
The Access to Information Unitrespects your privacy, and as such will not share the details of your information with anyone outside of the organization except where there is legal or necessary purpose. Each member of staff is required by law to strictly adhere to a Non-Disclosure Agreement. Any breach of this NDA is punishable by law. Thus any information voluntarily submitted here is treated with the strictest confidence.
The following is an outline of how some common web technologies are implemented on this website:
Cookies - These are tiny text files used to track each user on the website as well as to facilitate data management.
Data Encryption - Strong, multi-layered data encryption is used to secure your data each time you login to this site. Even the encryption keys are encrypted for maximum security.
User Sessions - Each user that logs in can only view their own information. Only select Access to Information Unitemployees will be able to access the entire database.
We do NOT use spyWare, spyBOTs, malWare, trojans or any other such malicious tools of any kind to surrepticiously spy on visitors or modify their machine confgurations in any way.
User Agreement Overview
In using the services or websites, including affiliate websites, or participating in the usage of the Office of the Access to Information Unit’s website, you are automatically bound to the terms and conditions of the use of this website. Continued usage, membership or participation signifies your agreement to these terms and conditions.
We reserve the right to change the terms of these conditions at any time at our discretion, and are not liable for notifying end users. As such, the onus is on end users to ensure that they review these terms and conditions from time to time. These conditions will always be available on this website at this location.
If for any reason you do not agree with these terms and conditions, you are required to cease any use of these services, including withdrawing your participation and cancelling your membership by deleting your account information, from all services.
Disclaimer of Warranties
Your use of these services is at your own risk. These services are provided on an "AS IS" and an "AS AVAILABLE" basis. The Access to Information Unitand all affiliates disclaim all warranties or guarantees of any kind, whether implicit or explicit, including but not limited to implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement. We make no warranty that:
- Any information found hereon or submitted hereto will meet any requirement.
- Any information will be timely, secure or error-free.
- The result of use of any information will be safe, accurate or reliable.
- Your participation on this website will not be infringed upon by others in some way.
- Your computer or any other device used to use the services of the Office of the Access to Information Unit’s website will be safe from any harm whatsoever.
Disclaimer of Liabilities
YOU HEREBY AGREE THAT WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR INDIRECT, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY LOSS OF REVENUE, PROFITS OR DATA ARISING IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT OR THE SERVICE, EVEN IF WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. FURTHER, OUR AGGREGATE LIABILITY ARISING WITH RESPECT TO THIS AGREEMENT AND THE SERVICE WILL NOT EXCEED THE TOTAL FEES PAID BY YOU UNDER THIS AGREEMENT.
Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of certain warranties or the limitation or exclusion of liability for incidental or consequential damages. Accordingly some of the above limitations may not apply to you. Wherever in this agreement the consistency of the any part conflicts with any other, this Disclaimer of Liabilities automatically overrides it.
Use of Rights
The rights of the Access to Information Unitmay not be waived unless the Access to Information Unitagrees to such change in writing. This agreement is personal to you the user and may not be delegated or assigned to another without the express written consent of the Office of the Access to Information Unit. Any attempt to assign or delegate this agreement will automatically be null and void.
Terms of Membership
You participate in the usage of this website of your own free will, and you have the power to cease this participation at any time for any reason. You must therefore agree, that by registering with the Office of the Access to Information Unit’s website, that:
- All information provided by you is accurate and up-to-date.
- You are responsible for the security of your user account, and by proxy, your password. (See the Indemnification section above).
- You agree to grant the Office of the Access to Information Unit, its designees, affiliates and members, perpetual, full, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty free, unlicensed use to any information that you may submit to this or affiliated websites in any form by any means, through any form of technology known to exist or yet to exist to any section or service.
- You agree that we, our affiliates, designees and our members may freely use, move, delete or change this content in any way we so desire, without your knowledge and that you will not legally bind or attempt to legally bind, or otherwise attempt to enter a legal agreement with the Access to Information Unitand affiliates with respect to this content before or after submission. You thereby agree to waive any rights whatsoever you may have over the ownership of this content once submitted.
- If for any reason the Access to Information Unitfeels your participation does not comply with any of the above requirements, your account and all related content you provide may be removed at our discretion, without your knowledge.
By registering with the Office of the Access to Information Unit’s Website, you agree that you will not:
- Defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights of others, including but not limited to their rights to privacy or any other explicit or implicit right.
- Submit content that is profane, defamatory, infringing, obscene, derogatory or damaging to the public or private character of any individual, entity, organisation and profession, country, niche, ethnic or social group.
- Submit content that is illegal in local, foreign or international laws.
- Attempt to gain illegal entry to, or otherwise deface, perform denial of service attacks on or otherwise "hack" the website, its servers, or the machines of its users, harvest e-mail addresses of any user for whatever reason, or send unsolicited e-mail (spam) using this site.
This Agreement and Binding Law
This agreement is bound under the laws of the Government of Jamaica, without regard to its conflicts of law provisions, and you hereby consent to the jurisdiction of and venue in the courts of law, located throughout Jamaica, in all disputes arising out of or relating to the Service. In addition, you hereby consent to the exclusive jurisdiction of and venue in such courts for any action commenced by you against us (or our affiliates). Use of the Service is unauthorized in any jurisdiction that does not give effect to all provisions of these terms and conditions, including without limitation this Section.
You shall not use the Service in any manner contrary to local law. The Access to Information Unitexpressly disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for any action by you that is contrary to such law(s) and reserves the right to terminate your Service or membership immediately upon notice for your failure to comply with any such local or foreign law.
Our performance of this Agreement is subject to existing laws and legal process, and nothing contained in this Agreement is in derogation of our right to comply with governmental, court and law enforcement requests or requirements relating to your use of the Service or information provided to or gathered by us with respect to such use.
If any part of this Agreement is determined to be invalid or unenforceable pursuant to applicable law including, but not limited to, the warranty disclaimers and liability limitations set forth above, then the invalid or unenforceable provision will be deemed superseded by a valid, enforceable provision that most closely matches the intent of the original provision and the remainder of the Agreement shall continue in effect.
This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between you and the Access to Information Unitwith respect to the Service and it supersedes all prior or contemporaneous communications and proposals, whether electronic, oral or written, between you and the Access to Information Unitwith respect to the Service.
A printed version of this Agreement and any notice given in electronic form shall be admissible in judicial or administrative proceedings based upon or relating to this Agreement to the same extent and subject to the same conditions as other business documents and records originally generated and maintained in printed form.